Thursday, April 9, 2009

Busy Day

We've had a busy morning this morning so far! Piano movers showed up at 9 AM to take the piano to the repairman's shop for the week. The kids are loving playing in the big empty space in the middle of the living room. Carver thinks the carpet is extra soft there :). Sad commentary on the state of the rest of our carpet!


Over the past few days, we have been carving out a space in our upstairs bonus room to serve as our official homeschool spot. At the suggestion of David's mom, we moved out outdoor kid's picnic table up there for a few weeks to see if it's going to work out. Might as well see if the kids like it before buying a kid's table and chairs! Yesterday I spent some time covering bulletin boards in awesome fabric and having David put them up for me. Today Carver and I moved the picnic table in, cleaned it up, and heaved it up the stairs. We'll see how it works!



The picture makes it look a little barren, but it's actually a very cozy corner (let's blame the camera lens). I love the fabric, and when I get tired of it, it will be a very quick fix for a totally different feel.

Our third project for this morning was signing up for one of our local CSA Farmshares. For all you who are not organic nerds, this stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and means we bought a share of a local farm's produce for the summer. The guy said our first "share" will be available the first week of May, and we will continue getting produce all summer long, though September. I'm very excited, especially to try some of the wierder things that I'm sure we'll end up with. David's a little dubious, and worried that I'll be feeing them beet, kale, and parsnip soup all summer. I did promise him that I'll make as normal of dishes as possible with the produce we get, and that I'll be happy to eat what everybody else doesn't want to. I'll let you know how it goes!

6 comments:

Debbie T said...

Looks nice! Where did the couch go??

Anna said...

It's facing the window now, perpendicular to the bookcases. Not as ideal for TV watching, but we watch too much TV anyway :)

Mariel said...

Man, now that you AND Emily are doing a CSA, I'm giving in to peer pressure and reconsidering. Did you go with Musgrave Orchards? When you signed up did it sound like there were still shares available?

Mariel

Kim said...

Cute bulletin boards!

I can't believe the whole piano is gone. He just took the "guts" (translate to his term... the movement) from ours...

Tell me more about the CSA and how it works. I keep going back/forth and wondering if it's worth it for someone like me with so many food allergies...

Thanks, Kim

Emily M. said...

Yay! I love the bulletin boards! I can't wait to set up a schoolroom in a couple (okay, a few) years...

I'm also excited that you're doing the farmshare, too! We'll definitely have to trade good recipes with the weirder veggies! I think it's been really good for me so far to stretch my normal menu repetoire.

the McGee family said...

Are you using a specific curriculum for the kids?