Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Birthday Weekend

As some of you know, our 4th of July weekend was also our birthday weekend. Here are the pictures from our celebrations!

This is David's birthday dinner on the 3rd. He chose steak and shrimp, and we had yummy Indiana corn to go with it.



The morning of the 4th, Carver's birthday, started with Corn Pops for breakfast, and then we let Carver open his presents right away, instead of waiting until cake that evening.

We decided that this was the year for allowance, so his first present was 5 $1 bills and 3 jars that he has to put some of it in: savings, college, and church (the college was his idea--we would've only made him do the other two). He has to put $1 in each every week when he gets his allowance, and he's free to spend the other $2 however he likes, providing he shares any candy he buys with the girls (I know, kind of a bummer). To my surprise and delight, both weeks so far he has given more money to church and savings. We went to Target today, and he quickly realized how much he'll have to save for a big toy that he wants (boy, toys are expensive!). He did buy a little matchbox car with one of his dollars, and I think he was very excited to check out and pay for it himself.



Birthday cake at the end of the day:


I'm so thankful for my 2 boys, and it is so fun to celebrate their birthdays together!

2 comments:

the McGee family said...

Crazy. I still remember that night at Awana when you told me you were pregnant with him. Time flies...

Emily M. said...

I really like the ideas about allowance...will have to remember that in 3 years! =)
I can't believe Carver is already 6, but we've been married 5 years and he was one at our wedding, so it must be true.=) Wow!
I am consistently impressed with how you guys are raising him to be a Godly young man who honors you two and cares for his sisters.