Monday, March 28, 2011

First Amnio Results and Quilt Update

We heard the initial results from the amniocentesis today. They were able to do something called a "Fish" Test, where they flag chromosomes 13, 18, and 21, and are able to see if those particular chromosomes have abnormalities. Praise God, they didn't! These are the most common chromosomal disorders, although not necessarily the most serious. So we are not out of the woods yet. It will take another week to process the rest of the results, looking for other chromosomal disorders. But we are thankful for this good news at this point!

The kids and I have continued working on Hope's quilt, and we are just about done. Here is the final version, missing only the binding:


I knew I wanted to do something special for Hope, so here is what makes the quilt special: the white squares in the corners and top are actually the skirt from my wedding dress. I have always thought that the baby-quilt-from-wedding-gown idea is cool, but I never had the guts to actually cut into my dress. This time, though, I really wanted to. Sadly, my dress was not cleaned after our wedding, so I was not able to salvage as much fabric as I would've liked--9 years of grime was pretty crusted on a lot of it. But I was able to get enough for the front, and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I'm going to cheat and use a satin blanket binding instead of making an actual quilt binding. That will be much less labor-intensive for me, and I hope Hope will enjoy feeling the soft binding.

3 comments:

Emily M. said...

So glad to hear that the test results are good so far. We will continue to pray.

Wow, I LOVE the quilt. I love the pattern, the colors, and that it's partially made out of your wedding dress!!! What a special gift to Hope!

We love you guys,
Emily

Anne said...

Anna -
Very glad to hear the good results on this first round!

The quilt is absolutely stunning! And what a gift using your wedding dress as the white fabric! It's so beautiful - both in appearance, but even more in love!

the McGee family said...

It's beautiful!!!
And praise God for the good news so far! Praying it continues that way!