Friday, February 27, 2009

Chicago!

This past weekend, we drove up to Chicago for a visit with my family. David was going anyway for a philosophy conference, so we all decided to go. My parents flew in from Spokane, and I picked them up at the airport on Friday, and my sister took the train from Hillsdale and got in late Friday night. We stayed right downtown, about 3 blocks from the school I went to the semester I lived there. Friday night we went to a classic Chicago pizza place, Giordano's. It was good, but we're not sure it lives up to Pizzeria Uno. Saturday we took the kids to the Museum of Science and Industry. It was awesome. I wondered several times why Bloomington's WonderLab isn't that awesome, and had to remind myself that we were in Chicago. If we lived there, I would totally buy one of their yearly passes. Then you could stay for two hours, long enough to wear the kids out, but feel free to leave when they lost it. As it was, we left when they lost it, but missed several of the good exhibits.

Here are the kids and Auntie BJ checking out the display of chicks hatching (real ones) in the genetics section:




Here are people waiting in line to see the German U-Boat they have on display.


My Mom was actually present at all of these events, but for some reason the camera never found her.

Saturday evening we went to an Italian restaurant for dinner, and then crashed at the hotel. Sunday was breakfast together, and then back home!

It was a great weekend. It was nice to see my parents, who we haven't seen since our August trip. It was fun to be in Chicago again, where I haven't been since I lived there and remember all the places I used to walk. And, it was great to get away for a few days! Thanks for the trip, Mom and Dad!






Update: I just realized that blogger put all the pictures in reverse order of the way I wanted them. Due to lack of time to fix it right now, I'll let you figure out which picture goes with which description :).

1 comment:

Emily M. said...

I'm glad you enjoyed our current hometown. It's nice to know that somebody does. Maybe we'll try the Museum of Science and Industry with Tommy this summer since the Aquarium was a flop for us. Next time you guys come to town, you'll have to stay with us (because hopefully we'll actually BE here)!