Thursday, March 4, 2010

On our own...

David left this morning for a trip to Memphis, where he'll be presenting a paper at a conference. He'll be back late Sunday, so I'm in simple survival mode until then. School has been reduced to a bare minimum--like taking a walk this morning and looking at the trees along the way. They're learning, right?

When a sweet friend called a few minutes ago to ask if she could take Carver and Ellie for the day to have them play with her kids, I jumped at the chance. That will let me get my Wal Mart and Sam's errands done with only two children, which is a huge improvement on 4. So Laura and Rose and I are alone for the day, and I'm remembering back to the days when I just had two. Looking back, it seems like two would be so easy! But I remember feeling overwhelmed many days with just Carver and Ellie. I guess God gives you the grace to handle exactly what He's given you, and adds more grace the more He gives! And even two children He certainly used to sanctify me, and He's working on me more and more then more He gives me. Not that I'm a great learner. We had several bad yelling incidents this week. (Do you like the way I put that? Like they just happened, nobody was at fault. Somehow, the yelling just started.) Let me rephrase--I yelled sinfully at the kids several times this week, and hated the fact that I had to go ask for forgiveness. Maybe I need more children so I can be sanctified more :)

All that to say--thank you, Dawn, for letting me do grocery shopping with only 2!

Did I mention that we took a walk this morning? I think 40 is certainly warm enough. And with the birds chirping, it sounds like spring, anyway. I think it took me a solid 20 minutes just to get everybody in coats, hats, gloves, shoes, and jammed in the stroller (or on the appropriate bike). I'm wondering if I get to count all that running around as added calorie burn. Probably not any more than usual. Ellie rode her bike, and made it for our entire 3-mile loop around the neighborhood. I was very impressed, and Carver repeatedly told her that he was proud of her.

So, now, the part you've been waiting for: pictures! This first one is one that I just found on the flash card when I put it in the computer--I have no idea how long it's been there.


And here are the babies as we start out on our walk:

Yes, that's a rotten banana peel on the ground. I don't know how it go there either. I did go throw it away, though, to the great relief of our neighbors.



Hopefully, as the weather warms up, I'll be taking more pictures to post!

4 comments:

Debbie T said...

Oh-the snow is gone! I heard it will get to 50 for you this weekend. Rick and I are praying for you and David as you are apart! (I had a few "yelling incidents" when the kids were at that age that I'm not proud of either! You don't necessarily need more children for sanctification--each age has its challenges!)

Anonymous said...

You are such a good mama! All four so close in age and I dont see how you do it all... You are doing wonderfully, your kidos look happy and healthy! That says a lot.
As for the "raising your voice", lol we all do that!
Thank you for sharing your day.

Emily M. said...

It's encouraging in a weird way to know that I'll look back on this time and think that two kids was easy. I mean, four seems totally overwhelming right now, but you're right--God will give grace for four when I have four, and six when I have six... And Charlotte Mason would be all about the walk--call it a nature walk, and you spent an hour doing science! =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna, Your children are beautiful and yelling is permissable on occasion...Yes, hard to believe, it's a timeless sin. My Mother yelled, I yelled, my kids yelled...my daughter is surprisingly calm...it's the school teacher thing...psychology...behavior modification...I never learned that..;-) I think of you often! Sending you a huge hug! Love, Peg