Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Saturday Afternoon Hike

As you may have noticed, I have forgotten to blog this week. I've been working on a new project, which consumes all of my energy for the first week or so until I get tired of it. When it's finished, I'll show you, but not until then...

We went for a family hike this Saturday. It was great to be outside with the kids, and I love it when the weather turns cool. It was cold enough to warrant hats and gloves, but not so freezing that you couldn't enjoy the fall air. Perfect!

The hike was 1 1/2 miles, so David and I strapped two girls into backpacks (extra calorie burn!), but made Carver hoof it. He did great. He was tired at the end, but I think he was proud of the fact that he was able to make it the whole way.

Here we are, starting out. The long stairway goes down the hill, past a cave, and lets you out next to a small waterfall. Then the trail winds it way back up the hill.












Here's the semi-scary foot bridge across the stream. Don't worry, it's all screwed together, and then wrapped with wire mesh for good traction. I don't think it's going anywhere.



I have no idea what kind of a bush this is, but the bright green foliage was beautiful.


I love hiking, so I'm trying to get the kids as excited about it as possible. We'll have to see if it's warm enough this year to do our traditional Thanksgiving week hike at McCormick's Creek State Park.

All that hiking wore sweet little Laura out!


4 comments:

Debbie T said...

Yea, a new post! Looks cold! We're expecting 90 degrees by Friday here. Are those new boots for Ellie? They're cute!

Anna said...

Yes, those were the boots that I had liked at Kohl's that day you sent me shopping. The hike is so far the only activity they haven't been ideal for--but then again, she spent the whole time in the backpack. 90 degrees at Christmastime would be great!

Anna said...

Yes, those were the boots that I had liked at Kohl's that day you sent me shopping. The hike is so far the only activity they haven't been ideal for--but then again, she spent the whole time in the backpack. 90 degrees at Christmastime would be great!

Emily M. said...

This makes me want to go out on a family hike! Oh, wait--we're in the middle of a sprawling metropolis. Maybe a family shopping trip...