Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Somthing I swore I'd never do and other assorted pictures...

Here's everybody at lunch today:


Here's what I swore I'd never do (besides never taking small children on airplanes, which I've been saying for years now and then recanting):

Potty train a 2-year old. Nuts, I know. Our other two potty training experiences have been something close to nightmares, so I've always said that I'm going to wait as long as possible with Laura and hope that she just figures it out somehow. But, yesterday I realized that we were almost out of her diapers, and instead of opting to take everybody to Sam's by myself, I decided to go this route. She likes the idea, likes the chocolate chips she's getting for having dry underwear, and generally doesn't mind sitting on the potty. However, yesterday was not a great success, as she had 6 accidents and 2 successes. For us, though, that's not that bad. I told David the stats after he got home, and his reply was: "Well, that's better than Carver was doing at 4." I would've said "last summer" instead of "4," but hey, what a couple years between friends? The good news? Today, she's had 4 successes and only 1 accident!

Here's happy Rosie:


And Rose sporting a cute baby gift handmade by a friend:

4 comments:

The Minnesotan with the German-Irish Name said...

It's my bonnet! I'm glad it will fit for at least a little while.

"Mom" said...

Rose looks like a doll-baby in that bonnet! Waiting beyond two years old to toilet-train kids is, like our American style of of milk consumption, an idosyncrasy of modern times. If moms had to MAKE the diapers, wash the diapers by hand, and line-dry the diapers, there would be a huge motivation to get the kids to use the toilet. Similarly, because we don't have to OWN the cow, milk the cow, lug the bucket, watch the milk spoil because we don't have refrigerators --we drink a ton more milk than any other culture ever has. I'm not sure either one is an improvement...

the McGee family said...

Have you ever read about Elimination Communication? Interesting, but not worth the hassle, in my opinion. And there is just no telling when Sam is going to go. No rhyme or reason. None. Zip.
You guys have some seriously cute kids. I would love to meet them someday!

Emily M. said...

We're cheering for Laura from here!