Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Cookbooks!

I was very excited to get two GF cookbooks for Christmas this year:


It is a bit of a slow process to get started in gluten-free baking because of the expense of the various flours and other things that you have to buy. I have been having David stop at the local health food store every Tuesday (their 10% off day) for the past few weeks, getting just a few ingredients every time. I finally have a critical mass of ingredients to start baking things, and Ellie has been my happy food critic. Actually, she's not much of a critic. Here's how the conversation goes:
me: "Ellie, I made you some chocolate muffins!"
E: "Really, that I can eat?"
me: "Yep."
E: "How many can I have right now?"

I've also made a GF sourdough starter, though haven't tried making bread with it yet, and tonight we'll be having corn muffins with dinner. The chocolate chip muffins were actually delicious, I would have no trouble passing them off as normal. I froze most of the dozen, after letting the other kids split one, and she gets them when the rest of us are having some dessert that she can't have.

My other fun new cookbook is something that I just decided to splurge on and buy for myself:

I've been using their whole wheat basic recipe for a while now, which can be found for free here. We have enjoyed it, so I went ahead and bought the book, which promises healthy, and even some GF recipes. The UPS man brought it from amazon today, and I've been using every excuse to nurse Rose so that I can sit and read it for a few minutes. So far, I'm loving it! There will be many breads coming from our kitchen this winter!

4 comments:

"Mom" said...

Wow! No eggs, no milk, and no added fat! And it doesn't turn out flat as a pancake and super dense?

Anna said...

Nope--it's yummy. Just make sure if you're using bread flour, add 1/2 c. extra water (it took me a few tries to figure out). I add extra salt, too.

Emily M. said...

Wow--might have to try that when I get sick of your old sourdough recipe (which we are enjoying again!). Yum!

Emily M. said...

Darn, I was all set to make this today and realized I don't have vital wheat gluten. Will add to my shopping list! So you use bread flour instead of some of the whole wheat flour? I have a lot of our Costco bread flour sitting in my cupboard that I'd like to use up! =)