Sunday, April 4, 2010

He is Risen!

He is risen indeed!

Every year, I have a slightly different idea of what sort of activity I want to do on Easter. Some years, we have dyed eggs. Last year, we did a "spring party" on a week completely separate from Easter that included egg hunts, candy, fancy breakfast, and presents. This year, I was not feeling terribly ambitious, so all we did was a fun breakfast and presents before church. I didn't even dye eggs. (But don't tell the kids--I don't think they know they missed out! I can only get away with that for a few more years :) So the kids came down to a fun table this morning, with presents in a basket, Peter Rabbit plates, cinnamon rolls for us and GF banana chocolate chip muffins for Ellie.


The presents were a big hit:





And here's everybody before church (Ellie grumpy about something, but I can't remember what--it's better that way):


And don't worry! The meaning of Easter was not lost for the kids this year. We went to Maundy Thursday service, after reading about how Jesus served his disciples by washing their feet before the last supper. On Friday, we attended Good Friday service, read the story of the crucifixion, and discussed why Good Friday is "Good" when it seems like it should be "Bad." Yesterday we waited, knowing what would happen today. And today we praised God for raising His Son to redeem us! It was a joyful morning! We also had the privilege of picking up an international student on campus this morning so that she could come with us and experience and American Easter. She is from Malaysia, and is Muslim. She was very sweet, and enjoyed being around the kids. David spent a lot of time talking to her, was able to share the gospel with her. She will not be going home to Malaysia this summer, so we're hoping to get to spend more time with her.

He is risen indeed!

3 comments:

the McGee family said...

How cool about your international student. That makes me happy!!! I would love to hear about it sometime. The two cultures are so similar.

Emily M. said...

I love the girls' matching dresses! Can't wait for that...

And my family had international students join us for Easter many times growing up, too--it's such a great ministry opportunity. Will pray that this relationship grows this summer!

Mrs. Miller said...

First, how wonderful that David was able to share the gospel with that student on Easter!!!!

Second, your family is so beautiful! I love all the girls in matching dresses!!!

Finally, thanks for sharing about how you celebrate Easter. Keith and I are just at the beginning of figuring out how to celebrate holidays as a family and I appreciate the opportunity to see how you guys rejoice at Easter.