Thursday, April 22, 2010

Our last two weeks...

It has been a crazy couple of weeks around here. I definitely feel like real life has been put on hold as we try to finish up this plumbing project. The plumbers came Friday and replaced our water main, and they did a great job. If you're in Bloomington with a plumbing problem, I definitely, definitely recommend Aim to Please Plumbing. They were super professional and remarkably clean. They're a small, family-owned Christian business, and they were great to work with. After they left, David and I started the ridiculous task of putting all that dirt back in the trench. Interesting how once dirt is out, it doesn't seem to fit back in very well. One or both of us has been working on it for a few hours every day since, and the yard finally looks mostly normal. Yay!

With the weather report calling for rain for the next two or three days, we're hoping to get my plants back in tonight and get grass seed spread across the whole thing. My plans for a bigger garden have gone by the wayside, as I am currently having nightmares about cleaning Indiana clay off my shoes. We'll just be happy to get it back to the way it was. As sick as I am of digging and dirt, I've taken a few breaks this week to do other, more enjoyable tasks. I cleaned up the front porch, got all my pots out for the summer, and got them cleaned up and filled with dirt. I'm trying something new on the front porch this year: garden veggies in the pots. We'll see how it goes! Hopefully we'll get some fun produce out of it!



I've also been keeping a keen eye on Craig's List here in town, and have found two awesome items in the past two weeks. This one was $10 from a guy who's selling everything to go work on a dock in Alaska for the summer. Interesting dude. I love the table, because it's gorgeous, and because it will provide us with a little extra table space when small group is here on Sunday. It's always nice for people to have a place to put their drinks while they're trying to eat off a place in their laps :)


This is a king footboard that I found for $20. I'm in the process of painting it white, and then I'll figure out a way to affix it to the wall behind our bed as a decorative headboard. Our bedroom has been a work in progress for the past 18 months, but I think once the headbaord is done, I'll finally be able to post before and after pics!


I've also found a great sewing project that I'm going to try: A Frock by Friday. I got the idea off of B's blog, and I've got another friend in town enlisted in the project. Should be fun! I'll try to post an after pic of that, too!

The kids have had various things going on, including finalizing flower girl dresses for my sister's wedding, reading books to Laura, starting a new science program with Carver for the summer, and teaching Carver some about how cars work. Our Odyssey has a loose connection between [something] and the battery, causing the car not to start. We thought it was the battery, but then found that when the jumper cable was attached to one of the battery posts, the car started just fine. So the way I started my car today to get to Wal Mart was by standing, holding the connection, and having Carver start the car. He LOVES it. I think he's hoping we won't bother to fix the problem, and just let him start the car all the time. I was hoping that, once at Wal Mart, the car would start up magically on it's own, but to no avail. Fortunately, I had parked in the back of the lot to attract as little attention to myself as possible as I propped the hood and put my 6-year-old in the driver's seat. But it worked like a charm! He was disappointed that I wouldn't let him drive home, but that's a lesson for another day.

So, that's a snapshot of life around here for the past two weeks! Feeling a little loopy, but hoping that all the craziness will be over soon!

3 comments:

Mrs. Miller said...

Carver's driving already? Wow, how time flies! ;-)

Can't wait to hear more about your container garden, especially what plants you choose.

The craigslist finds are wonderful. I love the round end table--so elegant and the lines are much softer than the average end table. Is it an antique? Keith's parents have round coffee table, but you don't often see round tables other than dining tables.
I can't wait to see your finished frock. Have you decided on your fabric? I think I'm going shopping tonight for the mine! Yah!!!

Emily M. said...

Oh, Anna! What a couple of weeks. I bet Carver was in heaven.=)

I also love the table! And we managed to bolt our headboard onto our mattress frame, which might be easier than drilling into a wall? I guess yours is an interior wall, which might be easier.=)

So glad your yard is getting back to normal!

Kim said...

Oh my. I can just see Carver's face! What joy!